Thursday 2 July 2015

The Polynesian Vegan (That sounds scary) 30 day trial - 3 days in ...





Hi there,

Thanks for stopping by, ok, so this blog is all about me taking on "Veganism" for a whole month. Please note I am learning as I go, and in no way do I claim to be a readymade vegan master haha .I also live with three boys who love dairy, so if you pop over to my house you will still see food that is in no way vegan. But I am doing this challenge as best I can!!

If you are a poly yourself or know a Polynesian, you would know that food is a core part of our culture! In particular meat! It plays a core part in some of our customs. I, as a Tongan, can remember from before I could walk, the essential part a whole pig played in celebrating special occasions. Everything from births and marriages to deaths and visits of special relatives, a pig was always there to represent status or even to bring importance to the occasion. (There is a rich history here, unfortunately not on this blog lol

So the dreaded word "VEGAN" the word could make my grandmother label me MENTAL! Why? is the big question every time I mutter the word to someone. Before I give this answer I want to first explain how this whole lifestyle came in to mine. The first time I heard the word Vegan, was from my Aunt and Uncle in law who just decided to stop eating meat and take up Veganism. It totally freaked me out, I was like... is this a cult? The first thing that came into my mind was leaves, leaves and more leaves....not something I would ever be interested in. They spoke about how much it has changed their life in every aspect. And these are no hippies, in fact my Aunt's parents were actually Meat farmers! THE IRONY!!


Veganism is the doctrine that "man should live without exploiting animals" Pretty soon after studying it, it's pretty clear that it's not just about FOOD! Giving up meat and dairy was only half the deal! It also meant no more wooly clothing or anything that came from an animal( annnnd I JUST BOUGHT A DOPE WOOLY JACKET FACE PALM! ) This was going to be harder than I thought!

So the reason why I am taking this up is truly a mixture of things. One being that, I have a long list of close family members that have suffered from preventable diseases, such as heart disease, liver disease, colon cancer and diabetes and not to mention obesity !! I truly believe that diet could have played a big part in preventing these illnesses. Also after reading the devastation animal farms has on our environment is enough to blow your mind !! (LOOK IT UP) Also the damage animal fat does to our bodies and the disgusting extent that the industry put these poor animals through is heartbreaking.
I as a mother of two really want to give anything a go that makes a real difference to the world. And even if this is for only thirty days, I hope to educate myself and my family about what we put into our bodies! Basically, I just want to  be responsible for the food I cook and use to nourish my family and be proud of it!

I am really interested to see if there are any fellow vegans out there and anyone interested in giving it a go !! LET ME KNOW!! I will blog here and there about it and post some of our meal plans with pictures !! I have to say with only three days into it, I do see a huge difference in my energy levels and my anger levels have gone down lol I would have thought I would be more angry without any meat haha!! Any who the only thing I really miss is the 10 cups of tea with milk I use to have everyday....maybe this is a good thing! Wish me luck and thanks again for stopping by !!

Cat xx

P.s "Beyonce is a vegan" is what I keep telling myself when it gets hard haha

No comments:

Post a Comment